If a pan fire starts on the stove-top, carefully slide a lid or large pan over the fire and then turn off the burner. Never pour water on a grease fire because splashed grease can ignite combustibles in your kitchen, spreading the fire.
Don’t try to carry a pan that’s on fire outside or to the sink. This is extremely dangerous because it can easily ignite your clothing or other combustibles you may pass with the pan.
If a pan fire starts inside the oven, turn off the heat and keep the door closed to suffocate the flames. If a fire starts inside your microwave, keep the door shut, push the "stop" switch, and unplug the unit. Keep the door closed until the fire is out. Call the fire department if the fire does not go out immediately.
If your clothing catches fire, do not run. Stop, drop to the ground and roll over and over until the flames are smothered.
If you keep fire extinguishers on hand and plan to use them in the event of a fire, be sure you know what type to buy and how to use them properly. Contact the Fire Administration office at 918-341-1477 for information on what to buy and training in their use.
If you experience a burn while cooking that does not break the skin, run cool water over the skin for 10 to 15 minutes. Do not place butter or other ointment on the burn as this keeps the heat in and could further damage the skin. Severe burns, including burns that break the skin, should be treated by a physician.