Payment Extensions

If you are unable to pay your bill by its due date, contact the Utility Office at 104 South Muskogee or by phone at 918-341-0456 to determine if payment arrangements may be available.

Only the account holder may request such service, and it must be requested prior to the scheduled cut-off day. Payment arrangements can only be made on active utility accounts. A bad debt can only be incurred if an account is inactive.